BANK BOOK WITH €900 IN SAVINGS FOUND DUMPED AT ILLEGAL RUBBISH SITE

first_imgThe bank book containing €900 which was found dumped at Bonagee yesterday.A local election candidate found more than he ‘banked on’ when he was informed about an illegal dumpsite on the outskirts of Letterkenny yesterday.John Watson was shocked when he discovered old furniture, sofas and even toilets at the site at Bonagee.But even more concerning to the Fianna Fail candidate was the discovery of personal banking documents belonging to a Co Wicklow bank account. The account, which was only used last week, had more than €900 in its account.The well-known businessman told Donegal Daily “Local man John Wilkie asked me to take a look at the dumping site as he was shocked and annoyed by it.“I agreed and took a look and was disgusted by what I saw. But I was even more shocked when I saw the bank book which is based in a Co Wicklow branch.The dump site at Bonagee outside Letterkenny.“I’m not sure how it got there but I think a lot of questions have to be asked as to how it got amongst all this rubbish in the first place,” he said. Mr Watson handed the banking documents over to the Environment Officer of Donegal County Council who is to investigate the illegal dumpsite.Meanwhile Mr Watson is called on Donegal County Council to crack down hard on illegal dumping.“This problem is becoming more and more prevalent in recent times, with many of our beauty spots blighted with rubbish,” he said.He acknowledging that things are tight for many people at the moment but said dumping rubbish around our county is not the solution.“Letterkenny Tidy Towns committee is doing amazing work and I feel the overall award is within their grasp. We all must do our bit, we must help stamp out this filthy practice,” he said. He also expressed grave concern regarding the future relationship between Donegal County Council and Letterkenny Tidy Towns.“The Town Council had an excellent relationship with the local Committee but now with the abolishing of the Town Council there will be a deficit in funding and supports available to all community groups and organisations,” he added.BANK BOOK WITH €900 IN SAVINGS FOUND DUMPED AT ILLEGAL RUBBISH SITE was last modified: April 28th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:bank bookBOngeedonegalJOhn Watsonletterkennylast_img read more


Gardaí locate stolen jeep from Castlefin

first_imgA jeep which was stolen in Castlefin yesterday has been located.A public appeal was launched after a burgundy and silver Suzuki Grand Vitara was taken from a local property on Monday afternoon.Gardaí confirmed at 11.30am this Tuesday that the vehicle has been found in Northern Ireland. Gardaí locate stolen jeep from Castlefin was last modified: July 2nd, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more


Volcano Tour Planned

first_imgA key researcher of the catastrophic geology at Mt. St. Helens is leading hikes on the volcano next month.Dr. Steve Austin, well known creation geologist whose studies have taken him to Alaska, Grand Canyon, Argentina and Israel, spent years studying the rapid geologic processes that were evident after the 1980 eruption of Mt. St. Helens.  He even did scuba dives to the bottom of Spirit Lake to study the vertical emplacement of trees on the bottom, and discovered a 1/40 scale Grand Canyon cut in a day by a mudflow.  He also found where fine and coarse laminations in a cliff were deposited in days, not in tens of thousands of years.Dr. Austin will be returning to the volcano August 3-4 to lead two instructional hikes for those interested.  Since most visitors cannot get permits for the areas on the tour, this is a rare opportunity to gain hands-on understanding of volcanology with a field geologist who was influential in reviving catastrophism in geology, and has inspired many to rethink the secular geological timescale.  The hikes are expected to be vigorous, so a certain level of physical fitness is required.Information can be found on this website.(Visited 6 times, 1 visits today)FacebookTwitterPinterestSave分享0last_img read more


UK cops take time off for SA kids

first_img22 June 2010A team of police officers from the United Kingdom have taken time out of their policing duties at the 2010 Fifa World Cup™ to support a local charity.A team of 12 officers being led by the Association of Chief Police Officers and representing forces across the country, including the Metropolitan Police and the UK Football Policing Unit (UKFPU), are in South Africa for the month-long football tournament.According to a statement by the Metropolitan Police last week, the team had already made their policing presence felt after being deployed in uniform during England’s first group match against the USA in Rustenburg.However, on 16 June, they took time out from their policing commitments to meet local children from an orphanage in Eikenhof, 20km outside of Johannesburg.UKFPU co-ordinator Tony Conniford said officers had approached local football clubs before the trip to ask them to donate goods to be given to South African children in need.New football kitsThe officers yesterday handed out kit from Stoke City, Manchester City, Liverpool, Tranmere Rovers, Newcastle United and Shrewsbury Town to more than 30 children at the TLC orphanage.The orphanage, which was set up over 17 years ago, cares for 70 children from birth to 17. It is one of the few orphanages in South Africa that takes on children with disabilities and more than 10% of its children are HIV positive.“I had the honour of meeting people associated with the TLC orphanage last year when we were working out logistics during the Confederation Cup,” said Conniford in the statement. “Through the FA and the UK Football Supporters Federation we were able to link up with two English volunteers who were working at the centre.“I knew when we came back for the World Cup that we needed to do something for these kids.”Volunteers, adoptive parentsThe orphanage is run by a small team of volunteers, many of whom have adopted children themselves. Pippa Jarvis, whose mother founded the centre, has nine children, recently adopting a small baby with HIV.“Most of them have been abandoned, some left in fields and the work done here to care for them and get them adopted is just amazing. Doing this today is just a world away from the work we’ve been doing here around the World Cup and it really just brings you back down to earth.”Several of the UK officers visiting the centre said it was a “humbling experience”, and they were delighted by seeing the joy and excitement on the faces of the children as they received their new football kits.“Visiting a place like this just makes you realise how fortunate we are and how lucky my own children are,” said Metropolitan Police sergeant Mark Carroll. “To see the faces of young kids with a smile despite having very little is something I won’t forget in a long time.“To bring some enjoyment into their lives was a real treat.”SAinfo reporterWould you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo materiallast_img read more



10 months agoIniesta happy to see Messi as Barcelona captain

first_imgIniesta happy to see Messi as Barcelona captainby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveVissel Kobe midfielder Andres Iniesta is happy to see Leo Messi as Barcelona captain.Messi took the armband after Iniesta’s summer departure.”I don’t think it’s a new thing for him,” said Iniesta.”He has been here a long time as the star player and at the centre of everything.The captain’s armband is an added stimulus for him.” About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more


Hollywood Blames Critics for Its Movies Being Unimaginative Pieces of Sht

first_img LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Facebook Advertisement The connection between both box office bombs—beyond their susceptibility to water puns—was that they both had also been decimated by a tidal wave of horrendous reviews from critics.READ MORE Twitter This past weekend, two very bad movies came out and no one went to see them. This theoretically should be the most logical sentence ever written. In practice, though, it’s apparently shocking.In what was the worst Memorial Day box office weekend since 1999, the fifth Pirates of the Caribbean movie—the one that everyone kept forgetting was coming out—got lost somewhere in the Bermuda Triangle, despite riding in on an ostentatious $230 million ship. While certainly not chump change, its $78 million gross is hardly the treasure haul the Johnny Depp franchise, which at its height opened to twice that amount, is used to.And the relentlessly promoted new, raunchy Baywatch comedy starring Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and Zac Efron similarly arrived at the box office like a rotting beached whale. It earned just $28 million over the weekend when pundits had been tracking a debut of $50 million. Advertisement Login/Register With: Advertisementlast_img read more


National MMIWG inquiry postpones future family advisory meetings

first_imgAPTN National NewsThe national inquiry into missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls is postponing planned regional advisory meetings with families.The announcement comes as commissioners wrapped up the first of the planned meetings in Whitehorse on Thursday.The other regional advisory meetings were set to take place in Edmonton and Thunder Bay.No new dates have been set.A statement from the inquiry said the commissioners are following advice shared in Whitehorse, and from other meetings across the country.“The process of seeking advice through regional advisories must be reformulated,” said Chief Commissioner Marion Buller in the statement. “There needs to be enough time to organize our regional advisories and truth finding gatherings in a way that honours and reflects the people of their territories and is inclusive, accessible and focused.”“National Inquiry remains committed to listening, hearing and being responsive to what families, survivors and communities are sharing with us. We understand there needs to be more communication in advance about our process and the options available to those who want to participate. We need to be flexible.”It’s not clear how the inquiry plans to refocus the advisory meetings and there is nothing on the inquiry’s website to explain the postponement.Some families have been critical of the process so far and say they feel left in the [email protected]last_img read more


Stingray Digital to acquire Newcap Radio owner Newfoundland Capital

first_imgDARTMOUTH, N.S. – Stingray Digital Group Inc. is set to acquire Newfoundland Capital Corporation in a cash-and-stock deal valued at $506-million.Newfoundland Capital, which owns and operates broadcaster Newcap Radio, says it has signed a definitive agreement with Stingray, which would acquire all of its issued and outstanding shares.The Montreal-based music and digital experience provider will pay $14.75 per share, payable in a combination of cash and Stingray shares.Newfoundland Capital says the transaction value includes the assumption of net debt of roughly $112 million as of Dec. 31.The transaction will be subject to approval of shareholders, customary closing conditions and regulatory approvals.Stingray’s chief executive and president Eric Boyko says the transaction positions the company as a “major player in the Canadian media landscape.”Note to readers: This is a corrected story. The Canadian Press was initially given a transaction value of $508-millionlast_img read more


FIR against BJP’s Satti for using expletive against Rahul Gandhi

first_imgShimla: With the Election Commission (EC) cracking its whip against State BJP president Satpal Satti, Himachal Pradesh police on Tuesday registered FIR against him for making highly derogatory remarks against Congress president Rahul Gandhi at a public meeting on Sunday.The issue had already revoked a massive criticism in the state generally known for dignified political discourse and gentle behaviour. The development is likely to cast its shadow on the polls in the state, which still has more than a week’s time for the electoral process and filing of nominations. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’State Chief Electoral Officer Devesh Kumar told the Millennium Post that Baddi police, on his directions, have already registered an FIR against Satti under section 294 IPC. “Necessary action has also been initiative in the matter and a report has also been submitted to the EC,” he said. During an election rally at Nalagarh in Solan district, Satti, who is a three-time MLA, made obscene remarks against Rahul Gandhi over his ‘chowkidar chor hai jibe’ on PM Modi. Also Read – Farooq demands unconditional release of all detainees in J&KThough, Satti in a video, which had gone circular is heard quoting a comment made on the social media against Rahul Gandhi for calling Prime Minister “Chor”, crossed the limits to repeat the slur at Rahul Gandhi though admitting that what was written on the Facebook was derogatory. He claimed that one whose mother, brother-in-law (jija) and himself are on bail have no moral to call Prime Minister a thief. “If Rahul Gandhi can call the prime minister, who calls himself a Chowkidar (watchman), a thief then “I am also free to abuse him (Rahul Gandhi)”. The Congress was quick to protest against his remarks but Satti refused to tender apology saying he was simply quoting the Facebook remarks made by someone. The Congress filed a complaint with the Election Commission and held state-wide protests demanding arrest of Satti, also removal from the BJP president’s post by the party. Meanwhile, the issue also got a serious twist as a Congressman Vinay Sharma, who was Deputy Advocate General during the earlier Congress government, posted his video clip on his Facebook wall announcing a reward of Rs 10 lakh for ‘chopping off Satti’s tongue ‘. He also issued an open threat to Satti to deal with him if he did not tender an apology. On a complaint filed by the BJP, the Election Commission, during the day, ordered Deputy Commissioner Kangra Sandeep Kumar to order police action against Vinay Sharma. The BJP has also lodged two complaints with the police in Kangra and Shimla districts against Sharma.last_img read more