Haiti cholera fight The United Nations Secretary General António Guterres has asked member states to inform him by March 6 if they intend to make voluntary financial contributions to the implementation of the new UN plan to counter cholera in Haiti,.“Earlier this week, the Secretary-General sent a letter to all member states” in that regard, Stéphane Dujarric, the secretary general’s spokesman said.As you are aware, under the new approach, the UN is intensifying support to the Haitian government in building sound water, sanitation and health systems – the best long-term defense against cholera and other water-borne diseases – and also developing a support package to provide material assistance and support to Haitians most directly affected by cholera,”Dujarric added.In his letter, the Secretary-General recalled that the UN bears a moral responsibility for ensuring that the new approach – launched in a report to UN member states on December 1, 2016 – is implemented.Costing about US$400 million over the next two years, the proposed UN package under the new approach will center on two different elements, known as “Track One” and “Track Two,” the UN said.The cholera outbreak has affected an estimated 788,000 people and claimed the lives of more than 9,000.
An Antiguan student, Eric Emmanuel Joseph Jr. h been named the top student in the June, 2017 sitting of the Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) examination.Joseph of Baptist Academy wrote and passed 15 subjects, securing 13 grade ones and 2 grade twos.8,803students sat exam this yearThis year, a total of 8,803 entries were recorded among Caribbean public and private schools, with an overall percentage pass of 73.3 compared to 9, 404 and 74.2 percent respectively in 2016.The Antiguan Ministry of Education, Science and Technology said in a release that that it has removed all restrictions so that candidates can access their results online. Results should be available, pending release from the Caribbean Examinations Council (CXC). Candidates are advised to keep trying if they are unsuccessful.Hard copies of results are expected next week and will be sent to schools for distribution to students.Higher passes this yearA preliminary analysis of the results of the 2017 Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) examination shows higher pass rates and an increase in Grade Ones awarded.A breakdown of this year’s results was presented at a conference at the Education Towers, St Vincent Street, Port-of-Spain on Friday by Chief Education Officer Harrilal Seecharan. It was noted that there were increases in the pass rates in 16 subject areas. This included an increase in the very important English Language subject.
Rihanna turns 30 Barbadian singer, turned actress, entrepreneur and humanitarian has hit the big 3-0! The singer turned 30 on Feb. 20th and got a birthday wish from her ex-beau Chris Brown. Brown took to his Instagram page to wish the singer happy birthday, under a baby photo of RiRi. The post amassed more than 630,000 likes and plenty of angry comments, many of which referenced the night that Rihanna was sent to the hospital after being brutally assaulted by then-beau Brown in February 2009.____________________________________________________Kartel Drops New Single Incarcerated dancehall star, Vybz Kartel, has dropped another new single. “Real Bad Gal” is the new song from the ‘Worl’ Boss, which was released in collaboration with longtime producer Dre Skull. However, according to reports, the song was a ollaboration from six years ago. “Real Bad Gal” manages to sound like it belongs in 2018 and feels like an ode to the “bad gal,” the archetype of outspoken women.
The Miami-Dade County Commission on Sept. 5 approved two pro-veteran resolutions sponsored by Commissioner Jose “Pepe” Diaz.Alzheimer’s disease researchThe first resolution urges Congress to direct the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to establish Alzheimer’s disease research, education and clinical centers. Veterans are at much higher risk of developing Alzheimer’s and dementia in later life due to post-traumatic stress disorder, combat-related brain injuries and other factors. Reduce “widows tax”The second resolution urges Congress to eliminate the so-called “widow’s tax,” which reduces the Survivor Benefit Plan annuities for surviving spouses of military personnel if those surviving spouses are also receiving Dependency and Indemnity Compensation from the federal government. Commissioner Diaz sponsored a similar resolution last year. “As our veterans and surviving spouses community get older, we need to be there for them to make sure they’re taken care of, because they have sacrificed so much for this country,” said Commissioner Diaz, who chairs the County’s Military Affairs Board.
The Jamaica government Monday confirmed that four of the 28 nationals rescued by the Colombian Coast Guard following a fire on their vessel more than a week ago have returned to the island.“Four of the fishermen, who were being treated for burns in a medical facility in San Andres were released on Friday and returned safely on Saturday.The men were met and transported to the Cornwall Regional Hospital by health officials, and while we are pleased that after assessment three were released, we regret that one had to be kept for further treatment,” said Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade Minister Kamina Johnson Smith.She said that arrangements continue to be made for the remaining 24 fishermen and crew members.“The Government of Jamaica has made the necessary plans to ensure the safe return of the men during the course of this week. As I am sure the affected families and the public would understand, these matters are actually quite complex and issues like timing are affected by many different factors.“My team and I at Foreign Affairs have to express our appreciation for the support of the Minister of Labour and Social Security, Shahine Robinson, who came on board and aided our efforts to make arrangements for our nationals through the Jamaican Embassy in Bogota and our Honorary Consul in San Andres,” she said.Johnson Smith indicated that her ministry would continue to keep the public updated and again expressed her continued appreciation to the Colombian authorities as well as key local stakeholders for their assistance.Last week, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said that while Jamaica had been given clearance to repatriate the fishermen those still being treated for burns cannot be released from medical care and that arrangements for everyone’s return have to take that timing into consideration.“The safe and earliest possible return of the men is the immediate concern of the Government of Jamaica. We are working with the Colombian authorities to arrange for their safe return. We hope this will happen over the weekend,” added Johnson Smith.She said the owner of the boat, who operates a commercial fishing company, has also been in contact with the foreign affairs ministry and maintains daily contact with the fishermen and has been keeping their families informed.
Caribbean Tourism Organization (CTO) – The month of March is expected to be a record-breaking period in Saint Lucia’s cruise sector.Between Friday March 1, and Sunday March 3, 2019, twelve (12) cruise vessels including the inaugural call of Crystal Esprit brought an estimated combined capacity of 19,052 travelers to the destination. Expected through March 31, is the arrival of an additional 125,434 travelers.In an effort to maximize the benefits of tourism locally that is in direct keeping with our current plans and policy trends toward sustainable cruise tourism strategies, special focus is being placed on the development and management of the cruise sector.“We are doing everything possible to ensure that Saint Lucians benefit more from these impressive numbers. A revenue committee has been established at the Tourism Council to yield greater economic penetration for our people.” said Tourism Minister, Dominic Fedee. “Therefore, the tremendous growth we are experiencing is a great beginning and we are committed to making this count by training our vendors and other stakeholders to focus on revenue.”With Saint Lucia’s capacity to welcome Vista, Quantum and Freedom Class vessels, cruise increased by 13.6% in 2018. The Caribbean Tourism Organization (CTO) is projecting 6 to 7 percent growth this year, continuing an upward trend that began in September of 2018.In the near future cruise travelers will have much more to see and do, as Saint Lucia is moving towards community-based tourism strategies. The Department of Tourism has earmarked eight communities nationally for the development of the Village Tourism programme with the aim of promoting linkages between onshore businesses and other sectors of the economy.The idea is to convert each of the communities into a tourism destination, highlighting its unique culture, cuisine, heritage and history, thereby creating an experience for visitors unlike any other destination.
PLANTATION, Florida – Seeing your child’s baby teeth be replaced with permanent teeth can be an exciting time. The process begins when children are 5 or 6 years old. The front teeth come in first, and soon after, the first molars follow. These teeth are sometimes called the “6-year molars,” and kids have two on the bottom and two on top.Sometimes, these new molars have an abnormal shape, which can be alarming for parents. Mulberry molars are one type of abnormality that can occur, resulting in teeth that have many small bumps, like mulberry fruits.Cause of Mulberry TeethThese unusually shaped molars are associated with congenital syphilis, which occurs when pregnant women transmit the disease to their babies, either through the placenta or during birth.Syphilis is a sexually transmitted disease caused by a bacterial infection. Since most newborns with congenital syphilis don’t have any symptoms, the disease may remain undetected at first. Later, parents may notice symptoms like tooth deformities.Congenital syphilis can damage a child’s developing tooth buds, resulting in mulberry molars or another condition called Hutchinson’s teeth. Mulberry molars can also be associated with other conditions that cause severe enamel hypoplasia, or thin enamel. However, these cases aren’t usually as pronounced as those connected to congenital syphilis.DiagnosisMulberry teeth are uncommon. However, Dentists are aware of the condition and can identify it based on the characteristic berry appearance of the affected teeth.Syphilis is diagnosed based on a blood test. People with syphilis have antibodies to the bacteria in their blood. Pregnant women should be tested for syphilis, as the condition can cause serious harm to the baby if passed on.TreatmentMulberry molars are more likely to develop cavities, so restorations such as crowns can be installed to improve aesthetic appearance and strengthen the teeth.For children with mulberry teeth, treatment for syphilis is also incredibly important. This treatment can be performed by a pediatrician. Syphilis may be cured with penicillin. For kids who are allergic to penicillin, other antibiotics can be prescribed.Mulberry molars are one of many dental abnormalities that can affect children. If any of your children’s teeth appear abnormal, see a dentist immediately to determine the cause.Dr Sharon Robinson, DDS, owns and operates the Dental Place in Plantation, Florida, with a second office – the Dental Place Cosmetix Spa in Kingston, Jamaica. She may be contacted at 954-792-1857. Visit their website, www.dentalplace4u.com
WASHINGTON, D.C. CMC – The World Bank’s Board of Executive Directors has approved a US$20 million grant for the Haiti COVID-19 Response Project.The Washington-based financial institution on Thursday said that this project aims to respond to the threat posed by the COVID-19 pandemic through testing and improved treatment in Haiti.“The rapidly evolving COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic requires urgent action to prevent outbreak and save lives in Haiti,” said Anabela Abreu, World Bank Country Director for Haiti.“The World Bank is working in partnership with the Haitian Government and donor community to respond effectively to the threat posed by COVID-19 by preparing the country’s medical system to diagnose and treat this infection,” she added.The World Bank said that Haiti faces significant risks from the COVID-19 pandemic.Since the first cases have been officially confirmed, it said the risk of local transmission has increased, stating that a state of emergency was declared on March 20.“Vigorous response measures will be essential to reduce the spread of the virus,” the bank said. “Otherwise, there is a high potential for the number of COVID-19 cases in Haiti to rise significantly.”The World Bank said the new Haiti COVID-19 response project aims to limit the transmission of COVID-19 in Haiti through detection, infection control in health facilities and access to best care possible for people who become ill.This includes enhancing testing, minimizing spread through contact tracing of confirmed cases, and providing needed laboratory and protective equipment for healthcare staff to ensure quality of care as pressure on the medical system increases, the bank said.It said the project will also support communications activities to help community members understand what they can do to prevent spread and counter misinformation. The project supports the COVID-19 Preparedness and Response Plan developed by the Ministry of Health.The World Bank said it is rolling out a US$14 billion fast-track package to strengthen the COVID-19 response in developing countries, such as those in the Caribbean, and shorten the time to recovery.The immediate response includes financing, policy advice and technical assistance to help countries cope with the health and economic impacts of the pandemic, the bank said.As countries need broader support, the World Bank Group said it will deploy up to US$160 billion over 15 months to protect the poor and vulnerable, support businesses and bolster economic recovery.
Gyms were initially included on the list of businesses required to shut down in Miami-Dade beginning Wednesday. The new order now states that people heading to the gyms will be required to wear masks the entire time they are inside the facility. Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez has partially reversed his emergency order and will now allow gyms and fitness centers to remain open. The mayor made the announcement on Twitter, Tuesday morning, reversing course from a statement he made on Monday. The order also states that outdoor dining at restaurants will be available, with no more than four people to a table. Kitchens may continue to operate from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m., but the orders must be takeout or delivery only.
WOMENAdamawa Queens Vs Edo QueensFC Robo Queens Vs Delta QueensConfluence Queens Vs Invincible QueensBeautiful Tours Vs Moje QueensRivers Angels Vs Delta BabesBayelsa Queens Feeders Vs Fortress LadiesPelican Stars Vs Young Talents 99Men’s and women’s Champions of this year’s competition will pocket N25m and N10m respectively.RelatedFA Cup: Big Name Teams Eye Round of 32 SpotsJune 14, 2019In “FA Cup”Aiteo Cup Quarterfinal Round-Up: Plateau United, Sunshine Stars Suffer Surprise DefeatsSeptember 21, 2017In “Nigeria”AITEO CUP: Enyimba, Rivers United, MFM Fall At First HurdleAugust 17, 2017In “Nigeria” In the women’s event, perennial champions, Rivers Angels will face Delta Babes for a place in the round of 16 while FC Robo Queens will be up against Delta Queens.Adamawa Queens are drawn to battle Edo Queens with Pelican Stars confronting Young Talents 99.Ben Women FC, Ibom Angels, Jokodolu Babes, Sure Babes, Sunshine Queens, Nasarawa Amazons, Osun Babes, Abia Angels and Bayelsa Queens were drawn bye into the Round of 16. Holders FC IfeanyiUba have be drawn to face their feeder team in the round of 32 of the 2017 Aiteo Cup while Sunshine Stars will host runners-up, Nasarawa United.The ‘Anambra Warriors’ overcame FC Yarmalight 3-1 to reach the last 32 while their feeder team saw off second-tier league side, Jigawa Golden Stars 2-1.Both teams are owned by Billionaire businessman, Patrick Ifeanyi Ubah.In other eye-catching fixtures in the round, Unicem Rovers will face 5-time champions, Rangers while 2015 winners, Akwa United will be up against either Kano Pillars or Yobe Desert Stars.Giant-killers J.Atete, who knocked out Rivers United from the previoud round will battle another NPFL side, Niger Tornadoes while ABS FC-conquerors of Enyimba- will square up against Adamawa United Feeders.The round of 32 matches are scheduled for Wednesday, 30th August 2017, with winners advancing to the last 16. FULL ROUND OF 32 FIXTURES (MEN):Sunshine Stars Vs Nasarawa UnitedAkwa United Vs Yobe Desert Stars/Kano PillarsOsun United Vs Kwara UnitedNiger Tornadoes Vs FC AteteNgwa FC Vs Lobi Stars/Katsina UnitedUnicem Rovers Vs Rangers InternationalEkiti United Vs Abia WarriorsFRSC FC Vs Heartland FCFC IfeanyiUbah Feeders Vs FC IfeanyiUbahEl-Kanemi Babes Vs Almar FCFC Abuja Vs Samba KurnaPlateau United Vs Ede UnitedABS FC Vs Adamawa United FeedersKatsina United Feeders Vs Bayelsa UnitedAkwa Starlets Vs Doma UnitedDelta Warriors Vs Shooting Stars