The Wright Shot

first_imgJo Koy draws ire for cutting through Cebu City traffic with ‘wang-wang’ Perfect game gives Valdez top seeding Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew MOST READ LATEST STORIES P16.5-M worth of aid provided for Taal Volcano eruption victims — NDRRMC ‘Stop romanticizing Pinoy resilience’ Scientists seek rare species survivors amid Australia flames “If we play that way every game, we’ll be tough to beat,” said Wilson after scoring most of his 17 points in the final half for their second win in three games.Resting for exactly a month after losing the Philippine Cup to San Miguel Beer, the Hotshots showed no traces of rustiness in the import-laced tournament by controlling the tempo in the first three quarters.Paul Lee, Ian Sangalang and Vernon Macklin repeatedly found gaps in the Phoenix defense before the Fuel Masters simply wore them out in the end.“We have to follow this up with another good game,” said Alas, whose Fuel Masters next face winless NLEX.ADVERTISEMENT Truck driver killed in Davao del Sur road accident View comments “I told them it’s no longer about Xs and Os. I urged them to play with pride,” said Alas after Matthew Wright completed the rise of Phoenix from a deep hole by knocking down the game-clinching step-back trey with 2.3 seconds left.TNT KaTropa played steadier in the stretch to pull out a 96-92 decision of Barangay Ginebra in the nightcap and tie Rain or Shine for the lead at 3-0.The Gin Kings took a second straight loss.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownAlas acknowledged that his substitution pattern made the difference after going for point guard LA Revilla when the Fuel Masters were struggling to climb out of a 16-point hole.It was the spark that Phoenix needed as Willie Wilson, James White and Wright played with pure hustle and grit to negate Magnolia’s manpower advantage. Matthew Wright drives past Ian Sangalang in the first half. —SHERWIN VARDELEONComing out of the halftime huddle, Phoenix Petroleum was sluggish and seemed headed for a lackluster night.Coach Louie Alas averted the downtrend with a stroke of genius in shuffling his men as the Fuel Masters gutted out an 89-87 win over the Magnolia Hotshots in the PBA Commissioner’s Cup.ADVERTISEMENT Green group flags ‘overkill’ use of plastic banderitas in Manila Sto. Niño feast Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’last_img read more


Concerns of political influence, directorial powers raised

first_imgState Assets Recovery Bill consultationsThe Legal Affairs Ministry and the Attorney General Chambers hosted a stakeholders consultation on the Draft State Assets Recovery Bill 2016 during which concerns of political influence, as well as the amount of powers instilled in the Director of what would be the State Assets Recovery Agency (SARA) were raised.From left: World Bank Representative Elsa Gopala; Chief Parliamentary Counsel Cecil Dhurjon; Legal Affairs Minister Basil Williams; British Fraud Expert Brian Horne; SARU Director, Professor Clive Thomas; and a representative from the Legal Affairs Ministry at the public consultation session on ThursdayThe Bill introduces the State Assets Recovery Act 2016, which seeks to establish SARA – the organisation that will be responsible for recovering, through civil proceedings, State properties unlawfully acquired by public officials or any other persons. The proposed legislation is slated to be tabled in Parliament following its August recess.Thursday’s consultation session ran for about two hours, during which stakeholders made queries, raised concerns and even made recommendations on the drafted legislation.Among the concerns outlined was the fact that there is a political imbalance of the Parliamentary Appointments Committee, which will be tasked with selecting the Director of SARA. This concern was made by Head of the Guyana Human Rights Association (GHRA), Mike Mc Cormack, in light of concerns made by the political Opposition that most of the individuals that the State Asset Recovery Unit (SARU) – which will be incorporated into SARA – went after had served under the People’s Progressive Party/Civic (PPP/C) regime and most of whom are members of the Party.The GHRA head outlined that the presence of bipartisan involvement in the appointment of the SARU Director was in fact done in favour of the Government, which not only chairs the Appointment Committee but has majority members.Mc Cormack noted, “It is effectively a partisan appointment given the powers that are being wielded are enormous.”However, Attorney General and Legal Affairs Minister Basil Williams pointed out that in drafting the proposed legislation, efforts were made to have the best procedure that will satisfy all stakeholders. He referred to the appointment of the Director, Deputy Director and two other staff members for the Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU),nothing that even though it took almost a year, they were eventually selected in consensus.“The path of inclusivity is where we are on,” the Minister remarked. He went on to highlight that there has been a difference in the culture that is present within the Parliamentary Appointive Committee than of that which is seen on the floor of the National Assembly.“We believe that any other route will still raise doubts about partisanship and biasness,” Williams posited.Moreover, concerns were voiced by the President of the Guyana Bar Association (GBA), Gem Sandford-Johnson over the amount of powers instilled in the Director and recommended that a Board of Directors be installed to govern the agency. However, the Attorney General explained that it would not be effective for there to be too many heads over the agency, whose work will be attended by secrecy and confidentially.In addition, the Chief Parliamentary Counsel, Cecil Dhurjon, had commented that the Agency will be under the scrutiny of Parliament on a yearly basis. He further noted that when a Director is appointment, it has to be someone of high calibre and great integrity.“The present Director appointed is the distinguish Professor (Clive Thomas)… you want to appoint someone to watch the distinguish Professor,” he asked.On the other hand, the financial sector also sought to seek clarity on the impact the proposed legislation will have on its policies. Representative from the Guyana Bank for Trade and Industry (GBTI), Nazla Faizoul, expressed concerns over the fact that confidential information will be in the hands of law enforcement officials and investigators.“The banks are a bit concerned with the extent to which we are required to divulge customer information,” she stated, disclosing that currently, the bank has received requests and instructs from organisations such as the FIU, the Special Organised Crime Unit (SOCU) among others.“I know that we are excused from liability for divulging that information… (but) should information fall into the hands of others, others who may be asked to assist SARU with investigations, that they same level of confidentiality be applied to them… I just wanted to underscore the importance for us to limit the pool of persons as far as possible,” Faizoul outlined.Among the stakeholders at the consultation session, which was held at the Pegasus Hotel, were members from the Judiciary, the Guyana Bar Association, transparency organisations, the Private Sector and others.Addressing the gathering in the opening session, Minister Williams pointed out that this step is his Government’s commitment to the fight against corruption.The Bill was conceptualised with the assistance of various international partners including the United States. To this end, US Ambassador Perry Holloway, delivering remarks before the plenary session pointed out that such legislation will bring Guyana in alignment with international conventions, as he pledged his country’s continuous support.last_img read more


CBL Places 5 Insurance Companies Under Provisional Administration

first_img35 employees of the Central Bank of Liberia have been brought under the jurisdiction of the court and prohibited from leaving the country until the investigation into the alleged missing L$16 billion is concluded.Authorities of the Central Bank of Liberia (CBL) yesterday placed five insurance companies under Provisional Administration (PA), a release has said.Companies affected by the CBL’s action on Friday, June 15, are the African Insurance Corporation of Liberia (AICOL); Capital Express Assurance Company (CEAC); Continental General and Life Insurance Corporation (CGLIC); Family Dollar Universal Insurance Services Incorporated (FDUIS) and the Global Trust Assurance Company (GTAC).The Provisional Administrators (PAs) placed in these institutions are empowered to take all necessary actions in preserving the business/assets of the companies and to protect the interests of the policyholders.“Action on behalf of, or for the account of the affected companies that occur without the prior approval of the Provisional Administrators after June 15, 2018, shall be void and of no effect,” the release said.The move by the CBL is, accordingly, in keeping with the authority vested in the entity by the Insurance Act of 2013, and consistent with Sections 10.10 and 10.12. It followed an assessment by the bank of the capital positions of the five companies for the period ended March, 2018.The assessments show that the companies have significant capital deficits and have consistently fallen below the capital requirements for licensed insurance companies since the first quarter of 2017.The CBL assures the general public that the actions are in the best interest of the public and are aimed at promoting the safety and soundness of the insurance industry and the interests of the policyholders.The action will preserve the business and the assets of these troubled insurance companies and will protect the interests of policyholders or other customers of these insurers.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more


Trackers back home after tournament in Kamloops last week

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Northeast B.C./Yukon Trackers are back home after going 1-2-1 in Kamloops last week.Game One saw the Trackers play Prince George in an evenly matched affair. Tyler MacArthur would get the nod in goal. The teams would trade goals in the second and third periods, as the game would end in a tie at 3-3. Connor Bowie lead the way with a goal and a assist, while Curtis Hammond and Reid Jacobs each netted a goal.Dakota Olsen would start Game Two as the Trackers would play the host team Kamloops and loose by a score of 3-1, even though the Trackers fired 50 shots on the opposing netminder. Johnny Herrington was lone goal scorer, with Connor Bowie dishing out the helper.- Advertisement -The third game saw the Northeast B.C. crew play Chilliwack. MacArthur got his second start as they would play catch up game and loose 4-1.  Johnny Herrington was once again the only Tracker to find twine with the assist going to Aiden Craig-Steele.The final game saw the Trackers play their best game of the Thanksgiving Classic against Abbotsford. Dakota Olsen picked up the first win of the tournament for the boys, as Curtis Hammond lead the team with two goals and a assist, Connor Bowie added one goal and a helper and Logan Kimmie and Jayden Piket rounded out the scoring for the Trackers. Final score was 5-3 Trackers.The Trackers’ next game is this Friday, when they welcome the Fort McMurray Barons to the Pomeroy Sports Centre. Puck drops at 7:00 p.m.Advertisementlast_img read more


Google photographs the streets of Fort St. John

first_imgPhoto:  The Google Car was caught Tuesday taking photos of Fort St. John – Andrew Tylosky/Energeticcity.caGoogle is spending some time in Fort St. John.- Advertisement -The internet search company has dispatched a red Chevrolet Cobalt to photograph the streets of our community. The vehicle was first spotted Tuesday with a tripod mounted on the roof holding nine cameras and additional three dimensional laser imaging equipment.The vehicle is taking high resolution images for the Canadian version of Google’s Street View service. This service allows a close-up, 360-degree view of city streets as if you were driving them.The service is currently available in the U.S., the U.K., Spain, Australia and Japan. According to Google, the Canadian version is coming soon.  The photographs will soon be available online, once Google processes the images and covers the faces of people who wind up in the images.The same vehicle was spotted last week taking photos of the streets in Yellowknife, while a similar car was in Whitehorse. Advertisementlast_img read more



Cal Poly Pomona beats Cal State

first_imgThe game was even at 41-all but the Broncos went on a 12-0 run, surging out to a 53-41 lead on a bucket by Kevin Neveu. The pattern is not something uncommon to the Coyotes this season. “It seems like every big game we’ve been in we haven’t been able to finish the first half,” Coyotes junior Marlon Pierce said. “It’s something about the last minutes of the first half and the start of the second.” The Coyotes never quite recovered. They got within three on a jumper from the baseline by Prentice Harris that made it 53-50 with 9:39 left. But the Broncos countered on their end with a 3-pointer by Billy Hofman. They also were within four at 68-64 on a 3-point play by Yaisrael with 2:49 left with a chance to further cut into the lead after a steal by Lance Ortiz but Yaisrael missed a point blank shot and Johnson missed the put back. At the other end Cook connected inside to make it 70-64. The Broncos hit 46.2 percent (24-for-52) for the game with Cook netting 26 and Hofman adding 13 points and six assists. Cajon graduate Donnell Booker added seven with a team-high eight rebounds. “We just played together tonight,” Broncos sophomore Larry Gordon said. “We knew if we played team ball we could win.” Cal State managed 40.3 percent (27-for-67) but was just 6-for-23 from long distance. Johnson led the Coyotes with 17 points, eight rebounds and three steals. Pierce contributed 14 while Yaisrael chipped in with 12 points, six rebounds and four blocks. “I can count maybe 10 times where there was a deflection or a loose ball scramble and they came up with it and converted it into an easy bucket,” Coyotes coach Oliver said. “I thought we played with a lot of energy. They just made more shots than we did.” Both teams will be at home for games Friday and Saturday, with the opponents being San Francisco State and Monterey Bay. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Both teams came in a little fatigued, having played five games in 12 days with the last three coming in six days and having to trek back from Northern California. But the first half was played a fast tempo from start to finish. The Coyotes, ranked 17th nationally and first in the West, stormed out to a big lead early, surging out to a 13-point lead on a tip in by Yoseph Yaisrael with 6:38 left in the half that made it 31-18. Much of the damage was done by Ivan Johnson who scored 11 of the team’s first 21 including a stretch of seven straight points. But he played only six minutes because of foul trouble. The Broncos capitalized with Johnson on the bench and reeled off the last 10 points of the half with a free throw by Dion Cook with four seconds left knotting the contest at 35-35. They Broncos started the second half the same way they ended the first. SAN BERNARDINO – The Cal State San Bernardino men’s basketball team was looking for a bit of redemption while the Cal Poly Pomona men were just looking to regain some momentum after three losses in the last four games. But it was the Broncos polishing off the Coyotes 75-69 in a rare Tuesday game at Coussoulis Arena. It was the first win for the Broncos (13-6, 9-5) at San Bernardino since 1998 and marked the first time the Coyotes (14-5, 10-4) have lost at home this season in nine outings. center_img The Broncos, who also beat Cal State in the second game of the regular season, played with a sense of urgency after losing two straight on the road over the weekend which dropped them into fourth in the conference and out of the national rankings. A new West region poll will come out today and they are likely to fall out of second. “The significance of this is huge. It was a challenge for us to come back after the road trip,” Broncos coach Greg Kamansky said. “It’s big to be able to beat the team that was No. 1 in the region twice.” last_img read more


The most likely result in every Premier League match this weekend

first_img Liverpool news live: Klopp reveals when Minamino will play and issues injury update Liverpool’s signings under Michael Edwards – will Minamino be the next big hit? SORRY gameday cracker TOP WORK 5 5 Boxing Day fixtures: All nine Premier League games live on talkSPORT 5 Wolverhampton Wanderers v Tottenham HotspurWolves win – 20 per cent chance of happeningTottenham win – 53 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 26 per cent chance of happeningManchester City v SouthamptonManchester City win – 91 per cent chance of happeningSouthampton win – One per cent chance of happeningDraw – Eight per cent chance of happening huge blow Did Mahrez just accidentally reveal Fernandinho is leaving Man City this summer? Green reveals how he confronted Sarri after Chelsea’s 6-0 defeat at Man City changes 5 5 Oxlade-Chamberlain suffers another setback as Klopp confirms serious injury Guardiola-inspired tactics: Is this how Arsenal will line up under Arteta? predicted Most Popular Premier League Newscenter_img At the bottom, it’s similarly tight with just five points separating Huddersfield at the foot and West Ham United in 13th, which makes punting on results pretty tricky.Everyone has their own different ways of attempting to forecast the result and statistics are more often being used.One such producer of these is FiveThirtyEight but what outcomes do they think will happen? Find out below.*All figures are rounded and may not total 100 per cent David Silva battles with Nathan Redmond. Sky Sports presenter apologises for remarks made during Neville’s racism discussion The average first-team salaries at every Premier League club in 2019 whoops Bournemouth v Manchester UnitedBournemouth win – 32 per cent chance of happeningMan United win – 42 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 25 per cent chance of happening tense Paul Pogba runs through the Bournemouth midfield. Cardiff City v Leicester CityCardiff win – 35 per cent chance of happeningLeicester win – 37 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 28 per cent chance of happeningEverton v Brighton and Hove AlbionEverton win – 51 per cent chance of happeningBrighton win – 22 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 27 per cent chance of happening We’re still none the wiser about who are favourites to win the Premier League title and who is going to get relegated – and it’s already gameweek 11!Manchester City, Liverpool, and Chelsea all remain unbeaten, while Tottenham and Arsenal keep on the triumvirate’s tail at the top. Crystal Palace right-back Aaron Wan-Bissaka clears the ball last season against Chelsea. Alexandre Lacazette attempts to beat Dejan Lovren. latest Newcastle United v WatfordNewcastle win – 42 per cent chance of happeningWatford win – 29 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 29 per cent chance of happeningWest Ham United v BurnleyWest Ham win – 52 per cent chance of happeningBurnley win – 21 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 26 per cent chance of happeningArsenal v LiverpoolArsenal win – 30 per cent chance of happeningLiverpool win – 46 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 24 per cent chance of happening Brighton stars try to stop Everton midfielder Tom Davies. revealed How Everton could look in January under Ancelotti with new signings Chelsea v Crystal PalaceChelsea win – 75 per cent chance of happeningCrystal Palace win – Eight per cent chance of happeningDraw – 17 per cent chance of happeningHuddersfield v FulhamHuddersfield win – 42 per cent chance of happeningFulham win – 29 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 30 per cent chance of happeninglast_img read more


Government’s refusal to give vote to holidaymakers slammed

first_imgDeputy Pat the Cope Gallagher has condemned the Government for failing to extend the right of postal voting to those on holidays or pilgrimage on the day date of the next referendum.The Donegal deputy also pointed out it will also directly affect those students studying in UK based colleges.He says the anomaly will also affect citizens ordinarily resident in Ireland but working for foreign-based countries who may be abroad on polling day, whereas if the company was Irish based they would be eligible for a postal vote. The matter was raised in the Dáil by numerous Deputies in the course of this week’s debates but, the Minister for Housing, Planning and Local Government refused to make any of the necessary changes.Deputy Gallagher said “The inaction of the Government will result in thousands of voters being denied their right to cast their vote on the 25th of May referendum.”Pat the Cope added the Minister in his reply to my Dáil question stated “while electoral law is subject to ongoing review I have no proposals at present to extend existing arrangements for postal voting to cover those on holidays or pilgrimage, studying abroad or working abroad but are otherwise ordinarily resident in the state”“This is extremely disappointing news and demonstrates a total lack of understanding from both the Minister and Government – the regulations governing postal voting are long overdue a full review in order to meet the needs of a changing society. “Thousands of citizens live in Ireland but work abroad a number of days a week; likewise thousands of students study in UK based colleges and the largest sector of the electorate affected by this decision not to change the guidelines are those on holidays on polling day.”Pat the Cope said we are one of very few countries in Europe that does not extend the right of voting to those on holidays at the time of polling, and this is incredible in this day and age that we as a country cannot extend a voting right to them.“Other countries allow for early voting – whereby you can vote weeks in advance if it is the case you will be abroad on polling day, while other countries simply extend a postal vote right to you if you are abroad on holidays on the day of the election or referendum.“These voting rights could also encompass students, those employed abroad but foreign companies but the Government has failed to show any willingness to make the necessary changes or show any empathy to those that are being denied their voting right.”He concluded “This is a Government that is all spin and no substance, a Government that talks about change but changes nothing and a Government that simply does not understand ordinary day living and the changes in lifestyles that exist in our country” Government’s refusal to give vote to holidaymakers slammed was last modified: April 20th, 2018 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more


Cardinals fall to Paradise in five

first_imgCorning >> The Corning Cardinals baseball team struggled against James Erisman’s pitching Friday afternoon, managing just a single run in the first and falling 11-1 in five innings to the Paradise Bobcats.Erisman threw a gem, striking out 10 Cardinals and giving up just 4 hits, an earned run and no walks. The Bobcats scored in the first when Erisman got aboard at leadoff, stole second and third and Frankie Cleary brought him home with a sacrifice fly to center. Kevin Wright came home on a …last_img read more