10 months agoArsenal to launch January bid for Boca Juniors winger Pavon

first_imgArsenal to launch January bid for Boca Juniors winger Pavonby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveArsenal are ready to launch a bid for Boca Juniors winger Christian Pavon.The Sun says the Gunners have the 22-year-old Argentine in their sights for the New Year and contact has already been made with his club.However, Boca have quoted a sky-high fee for Pavon, who has been dogged by hamstring trouble which handicapped him in the Copa Libertadores final.Emirates boss Unai Emery is a big fan and wants Pavon to give his attack even more edge.He can play in the Arsenal system and is faster than most players in the Spaniard’s squad.Boca are braced for a bid close to their asking price for Pavon and have fended off other Premier League clubs as they try to get their money. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more


10 months agoIniesta happy to see Messi as Barcelona captain

first_imgIniesta happy to see Messi as Barcelona captainby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveVissel Kobe midfielder Andres Iniesta is happy to see Leo Messi as Barcelona captain.Messi took the armband after Iniesta’s summer departure.”I don’t think it’s a new thing for him,” said Iniesta.”He has been here a long time as the star player and at the centre of everything.The captain’s armband is an added stimulus for him.” About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more


a month agoArsenal boss Emery full of praise for ‘angry’ Guendouzi

first_imgAbout the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Arsenal boss Emery full of praise for ‘angry’ Guendouziby Freddie Taylora month agoSend to a friendShare the loveUnai Emery was full of praise for Matteo Guendouzi after Sunday’s 3-2 comeback win over Aston Villa. Guendouzi marshalled the Gunners midfield, showing an attitude and maturity beyond his 21 years. Speaking after the game, Emery said he was pleased with Guendouzi’s “anger”.He said: “With Matteo, last year when he came here he progressed and he is progressing. Really I like that spirit he has, he has talent but above all his attitude, his energy, his commitment and his behaviour. “He’s one player who is angry when he is not playing but I like that. “I like that player because when they are angry they are asking you to play, when you decide that they play today they know they have a commitment to give what you need and he is one player, he is improving. “I want to be calm with him, he is humble and continuing improving and growing up with us.” last_img read more


Dortmund deny Kagawa to Bordeaux rumours

first_imgBorussia Dortmund have denied reports Shinji Kagawa is set to join French side Bordeaux on loan.Reports from France suggested that Dortmund had agreed a deal with the Ligue 1 club for the Japan international, though Kagawa had yet to be convinced about the move.However, Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc has distanced himself from those rumours. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Speaking to Ruhr Nachtrichten, the 56-year-old said: “I know nothing about that.”Despite that denial, Kagawa is still expected to leave Dortmund before the end of the January transfer window.After last season was cut short by injury, Kagawa has struggled to regain his starting berth under Lucian Favre this time around, with Marco Reus being his preferred option in attacking midfield.The emergence of youngsters such as Jadon Sancho and Christian Pulisic has also restricted Kagawa’s playing time, with the former Manchester United forward making just two starts and two further substitute appearances so far this campaign.That has inevitably led to speculation regarding a possible January move for the 29-year-old.Dortmund are keen to lower their wage bill and so will not stand in the way of any squad player looking to move, as demonstrated by Andre Schurrle’s loan move to Fulham last summer and Sebastian Rode’s departure to Eintracht Frankfurt earlier this month.Speaking to Nikkan Sports in November, Kagawa revealed his desire to pursue first-team football and that a move to Spain’s La Liga would be his preferred option.Kagawa said a move to Spain would be “the most important challenge in my career”, having already enjoyed spells in England and Germany.In response to those comments, Zorc admitted he was sympathetic to Kagawa’s predicament and would consider allowing him to move on for the sake of his career.Sevilla have been heavily linked with a move for the player, though no deal has yet to materialise.Kagawa initially joined Dortmund from Cerezo Osaka in 2010 and has gone on to make more than 2000 appearances over two stints with the club, sandwiched between a two-year spell at Old Trafford.He is contracted at the Westfalenstadion until the summer of 2020.last_img read more


Seaman surprised by ‘early’ Cech retirement

first_imgFormer Arsenal goalkeeper David Seaman believes Petr Cech has more to offer despite announcing his intention to hang up his gloves at the end of the season.The ex-Czech Republic international announced on Tuesday that his 20-year professional career will come to an end in the summer.Cech has seen himself overlooked for large parts of the 2018-19 season by Unai Emery and has not played in any of the Gunners’ last 15 Premier League games. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Though out of contract at the Emirates at the end of the campaign, Seaman feels Cech still has a contribution to make to the sport despite turning 37 in May.”Honestly, I was surprised, he’s only 36,” Seaman, the Arsenal goalkeeper ‘between 1990 and 2003, told Sky Sports.”I thought it was a little early but when you are a goalkeeper, you know when it is time to retire. “Petr has had his own chat with people and he has his own thoughts as well. “For him it is the right time but I just thought it was a little bit early.”I was ready. I was 40 and had been 22 years a pro, and really enjoyed myself. “Petr’s 36 and I can’t help thinking he might feel ‘I could have gone on for another couple of years’.”As a winner of 18 major honours, many of which came during 11 years at Chelsea, Cech leaves the game as one of the Premier League’s best ever custodians.He won the Golden Glove – the prize awarded for the most clean sheets in a single season – on four occasions and was twice named in the PFA Team of the Year.Cech’s career was momentarily at risk when he suffered a depressed skull fracture against Reading in 2006 – but he made a full recovery and returned to the sport wearing a rugby-style headguard.Seaman added: “He was one of the best, no doubt.”The standard he set when he came in was brilliant and that has been proven by all the trophies he has won.”He won a hell of a lot of trophies with Chelsea, came to Arsenal and still kept that standard of great goalkeeping.”I’ve been impressed all through his career, even to this season. He was playing really well until he got his injury (Cech suffered a hamstring injury against Watford at the end of September).”It was a shame he got injured and as to how many games he will play between now and the end of the season we don’t know but it will probably be just a couple of cups.”He has been a fantastic goalkeeper for the Premier League.” Check out Goal’s Premier League 2019-20 fantasy football podcast for game tips, debate and rivalries.last_img read more


New Transfer Rumors Are Swirling For Alabama QB Jalen Hurts

first_imgJalen Hurts of the Alabama Crimson Tide looks for an open receiver against the USC Trojans.ARLINGTON, TX – SEPTEMBER 03: Jalen Hurts #2 of the Alabama Crimson Tide looks for an open receiver against the USC Trojans in the third quarter during the AdvoCare Classic at AT&T Stadium on September 3, 2016 in Arlington, Texas. (Photo by Tom Pennington/Getty Images)Jalen Hurts appears to be intent on remaining with Alabama’s football program for the 2018 season, but new comments from the Crimson Tide’s quarterback have many questioning his future in Tuscaloosa, Ala.Hurts on Saturday spoke out about how he’s felt about his recent time at Alabama. He appears to feel that those around him could have better handled all of the speculation about his future.The Alabama quarterback says no coaches have come up to him and talked to him about his future at Alabama despite all of the transfer rumors swirling.Alabama head coach Nick Saban previously said that he had “no idea” if Hurts was going to be on the roster for the season opener against Louisville.Hurts appears to be hurt by everything. From AL.com:“I told him in June that I’d be here,” Hurts said. “It was something I never said. I told you already I’d be here and I’m about to graduate in January. Even when I am not in a situation i think I should be, I’m here.”Hurts acknowledged there was a communication breakdown within the program, in part, because the coaches never solicited his feedback.“No one came up to me the whole spring, coaches included, no one asked me how I felt, no one asked me what was on my mind,” Hurts said.Hurts is very close to graduating and it’s much easier to move on as a graduate transfer than it is as a non-graduate. Still, it’s unclear what exactly Hurts is planning on doing moving forward.The Alabama quarterback will have significant interest on the transfer market if he decides to hit it. Stay tuned.last_img read more


CFB Coach Announces Resignation After Being Suspended This Summer

first_imgA generic picture of three footballs next to a pylonHaving your head coach resign less than a month before the season starts is never an ideal situation. One FCS program is dealing with it as of Monday.Stephen F. Austin head coach Clint Conque announced his resignation Monday evening. Conque had been suspended by the program back in June for unspecified reasons.SFA defensive coordinator Jeff Byrd, who has been serving as the team’s interim head coach, will continue in that role for the regular season.Conque had been at SFA since 2014. He released a statement tonight on his decision to step down.“Today I announce my decision to step down as the head football coach at Stephen F. Austin,” Conque said. “Although I have remained confident in the ongoing investigation into the potential violation of university policy, as a family of faith and out of respect to my profession, I do not want this situation to be a further distraction to the 2018 football team and season. I deeply care for my players and wish them great success this season and beyond.“It has been a privilege to serve the university and to work with many outstanding players and coaches – past and present. I am proud of the foundation that is in place both on and off the field. I have arrived at this decision on my own and look to move forward in my career.”In his four seasons as head coach of the Lumberjacks, Conque posted an overall record of 21-25. His best season came in his first year (2014) when he went 8-5.He previously served as the head coach of Central Arkansas from 2000-13, compiling a 105-59 overall mark.SFA will open its 2018 season at Mississippi State on September 1.last_img read more


Maryland Has Now Fired Head Coach D.J. Durkin

first_imgA general view of Maryland's football stadium.COLLEGE PARK, MD – NOVEMBER 03: A general view of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets and Maryland Terrapins game at Byrd Stadium on November 3, 2012 in College Park, Maryland. (Photo by Rob Carr/Getty Images)Maryland has now decided to fire head football coach D.J. Durkin one day after the university announced that the head coach had been reinstated and would be on the sideline Saturday against Michigan State.The Terrapins announced the decision on Durkin this evening, less than 24 hours after the school had announced his reinstatement.There was serious pushback on Maryland’s decision to reinstate Durkin, with players reportedly walking out of a team meeting and some players scrapping at practice this afternoon.Maryland announced the Durkin decision tonight.“And in a stunning twist, the University Maryland has parted ways with DJ Durkin… more coming soon…” Washington Post’s Rick Maese tweeted.And in a stunning twist, the University Maryland has parted ways with DJ Durkin… more coming soon…— Rick Maese (@RickMaese) October 31, 2018Durkin had reportedly met with his players earlier this evening, letting them know in a team meeting that he had been fired.Maryland’s state governor, Larry Hogan, pressured Maryland to reconsider its decision earlier today.“I share the concerns of many Marylanders and believe very strongly that more must be done to restore the public trust,” Hogan said in a statement he tweeted out. “I am calling on both the University System of Maryland Board of Regents and President Wallace Loh to reconsider their decisions and to schedule a public hearing to address these issues in an open and transparent manner.”He continued:“While the university system is required by law to operate independent of political influence, and as such no governor has the ability to hire or fire any university personnel or members of the Board of Regents, I can and will demand that the university is held accountable for making the reforms they have pledged to put in place with the full transparency that the students, parents, and faculty expect and deserve.”There have also been serious questions about Durkin from the high school community, with many wondering if the Terrapins would be able to recruit under his leadership moving forward.Maryland will likely now be led by interim coach Matt Canada, who had been leading the team during the absence of Durkin.An official statement on Durkin and his firing should be out later tonight. Stay tuned.last_img read more


Ohio State Survives 52-51 After Maryland Misses 2-Point Play

first_imgurban meyer on the sideline of the maryland gameCOLLEGE PARK, MD – NOVEMBER 17: Head coach Urban Meyer of the Ohio State Buckeyes looks on during the first half against the Maryland Terrapins at Capital One Field on November 17, 2018 in College Park, Maryland. (Photo by Will Newton/Getty Images)Ohio State’s Big Ten and College Football Playoff hopes are alive, somehow. The Buckeyes just survived in shocking fashion against Maryland.After Dwayne Haskins’ third rushing touchdown of the game put the Buckeyes up 52-45 on the first possession of overtime, Maryland scored in two plays to make it 52-51.At that point, the Terps’ interim head coach Matt Canada made the call: go for two and the win. Unfortunately, the best laid plans sometimes go awry.Tyrrell Pigrome missed an open receiver on the conversion attempt, and Ohio State escaped College Park with the win.Goes for 2 and the win….. pic.twitter.com/hwUlKWXsR6— Ⓜ️arcusD ᴿᴵᴾ ᴹᵃʳᶜᵘˢᴰ² (@_MarcusD3_) November 17, 2018That was brutal. Maryland absolutely deserved to win this game.With Ohio State pulling it out, next week’s game against Michigan will be for the Big Ten East. The atmosphere at The Shoe will be insane.However, if Ohio State doesn’t get its act in gear, it won’t stand a chance against the Wolverines.last_img read more


Paul Finebaum Thinks 1 Major College Football Program Is “In Trouble”

first_imgPaul Finebaum explains why Clemson will lose.ESPN college football analyst Paul Finebaum believes one major program is “in trouble” following Tuesday night’s transfer news.Former Clemson quarterback Kelly Bryant spurned Auburn (and others), committed to Missouri on Tuesday evening.Finebaum believes this is a bad look for an Auburn team that’s likely losing Jarrett Stidham to the NFL.The ESPN college football analyst thinks the Tigers – and, more specifically, their head coach – are in rough shape right now.“It surprised a lot of people,” Finebaum said. “It’s really a bad look for Malzahn, who’s on thin ice even though he has a $32 million buyout. He needed this player. He didn’t get him. Malzahn is in trouble.”Good for Mizzou. Bad for Auburn.@finebaum had some thoughts on former Clemson QB Kelly Bryant transferring to Missouri: pic.twitter.com/f3vWtkVovg— Get Up (@GetUpESPN) December 5, 2018Finebaum thinks Malzahn will be heading into the 2019 season on a major hot seat.“This will be a fascinating story to watch,” Finebaum said.last_img read more